WHY SHOULD WE SUPPORT OUR REVIVAL?
WHY SHOULD WE SUPPORT OUR REVIVAL?
INTRODUCTION: When a revival meeting is announced in a church many in the congregation begin asking, "Why should I support this meeting?" They begin to think of reasons why they should not support it, and consequently they convince themselves that they do not need to attend nor support the meeting at all. For the most part, those who take such a position are the individuals who need to be here the most. They are the individuals who are cold, indifferent, spiritually dead, and not sensitive to the things of God. Such people will not be concerned about the lost people in our community.
If only every member of this church could see and taste the real blessings of God that He gives through revival meetings, we could reach our entire city with the Gospel of Christ.
I want to list some reasons why you and I should support the revival. Not only support it with our attendance but with prayer, love offering, and bringing people with us.
- BECAUSE OF GOD'S LOVE FOR US
- I John 3: 1, "What manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God;"
- I John 4:9-11, "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another."
- Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
- John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
When God has shown His love for us in manners such as these, how can we ever fail to support His revival? How can we fail to give Him our best?
How can we shun such love?
How can we turn our backs on one that gave forth so much in our behalf?
- BECAUSE CHRIST DIED FOR ON THE CROSS US
- Romans 5:8, "....while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
- John 15:13, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Gal. 1:4, "Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father."
- Titus 2:14, "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."
- "...might redeem us from ALL iniquity."
If we would only realize this one thing, that we have been redeemed from all sin for all time, that alone would be enough to give ourselves completely unto Him.
We should support the revival because of what Christ did for us on the cross.
If we were really appreciative of His gift, nothing could keep us away.
Ill. BECAUSE OF THE CONDITION OF THE WORLD
- The Woman Who Abandoned Her Baby In The Trash Bin.
- The Mass Killings In Every News Report.
- The Rapes, The Dope Peddling, The Robberies, Etc.
If we, as God's people, don't take some interest in the community around us we will not have anything left in a few years, and this must be done by spiritual matters. The social and secular programs have failed long ago. All our community government is doing is coming up with bigger and more expensive programs so they can fail also.
If we could get 2 or 3 families saved on each block in our community, we would see a change in the society. The things of God would again be a priority.
The degradation of mankind is to the point that no act or deed will go undone. Mankind, in his fallen condition, is capable of doing anything.
Turn to Rom. 1:25 and let's read a few verses there.
Rom 1:25 "Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."
Rom 1:26 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:"
Rom 1:27 "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet."
Rom 1:28 "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"
Rom 1:29 "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,"
Rom 1:30 "Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,"
Rom 1:31 "Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:"
Rom 1:32 "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."
If this doesn't sound like the need for us to get involved with the community around us, then you are blind.
We need to support the revival because of the condition of the community around us.
- BECAUSE OF THE EMPTINESS IN MY OWN HEART
- Psa. 42:1&2. Psa 42:1 "To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."
Psa 42:2 "My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?"
- David in Psalm 51.
- Paul, as he cries out for help in Rom. 7:15-25.
- BECAUSE OF THE PERSON OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Eph. 4:30, "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."
How would you grieve the Holy Spirit? By denying Him the desire to attend the House of God. It is the heartbeat of the Holy Spirit to be in the presence of the Father at every opportunity. When we shun God's House, we grieve the Holy Spirit.
Grieve is like when an old man died, leaving only his dog. There was no other kin. The dog, in mourning the old man’s death, grieved himself to death.
That's what we do to the Holy Spirit when we stay away from the House of God.
- I Thess 5:19, "Quench not the Spirit."
- How does one quench the Spirit? Matt. 3:11 tells us that we are baptized with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
- So how do we put out the fire of the Holy Spirit? By removing fuel. If we refrain from feeding the soul with the things of God, we will quench the Spirit of God.
- Fire can be quenched or extinguished by putting dirt on it. When we allow the carnal and the ungodly things of the world come into our lives, then we are quenching the fire of the Holy Spirit.
Therefore we need to be in the revival meetings every night so our heart can be revived and the fire of the Holy Spirit can be re-ignited.
- BECAUSE SOULS ARE DYING AND GOING TO HELL AT A RACE CAR SPEED
- Those Who Do Not Attend The Revival Are Saying, "I do not have a burden for the lost."
- A Burden For The Lost Can Only Be Ignited By The Word Of God And By The Holy Spirit Of God.
- I Would Believe That More Souls Have Been Won By Those Who Have Gone To Revival Meetings And Gotten Their Heart Right With God And Then Consecrate Their Lives To Reaching Others With The Gospel.
Now allow me to ask you, are you going to support the revival each and every night unless providentially hindered?
I know that some have a work schedule that you cannot be here every night unless you took vacation time. Maybe God would have you do that.
I know that there will be some unexpected illness or events that you cannot control. However, for the most part, each one could be here every night if they only wanted to.
Will you pray for the revival?
Will you participate in any way that is needed?